I never really liked coconut, but in this cake I sure liked it, the cake was moist and it had a light chocolate taste. The frosting had the just the right amount of sweetness and it complemented the cake perfectly.
- 4 ounces of chopped semi sweet chocolate
- 1/2 c. water
- 1 c. unsalted butter softened
- 2 c. sugar
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 c. buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 2 1/2 c. flour
1. Melt the chocolate in a small pot with the water and let it cool. In a medium bowl combine flour and baking soda. Meanwhile beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form. In a large bowl cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy adding egg yolks one at a time, add the chocolate alternating with the flour mixture and buttermilk. Incorporate the egg whites. Pour the mixture in a prepared pan.
2. Bake at 350°F for about 30 minutes and let it cool. While the cake's in the oven make the frosting by putting 1 c. of sugar and 1 c. of evaporated milk in a small pot until it thickens, remove from heat and add 1/3 c. of evaporated milk. Mix in 3 egg yolks slightly beaten, cook the mixture for 15 minutes until it thickens, remove from heat and add 1/2 c. of butter. Let the butter melt and add 1 c. chopped pecans and 1 1/3 c. flaked coconut.
3. Cover the cake with the frosting and decorate it with some more chopped pecans and coconut.
then have a slice... or two..
Oh my goodness I want a slice of this.ReplyDelete
oh.. it looks so good, and pretty!ReplyDelete
I have never liked coconut either, but recently tried a few things with it and really enjoyed them! Your cake looks delicious!ReplyDelete
One or two slices? Try five. The way this is put together makes me think it probably would float away like a three musketeers bar or whatever candy bar defies gravity on TV these days. You know what I mean. This cake is highly likely to make my Christmas to-nom list.ReplyDelete
Your cake looks divine!!! It's funny, I don't like coconut unless it's baked in something either.ReplyDelete
Oh man. This is INCREDIBLE! Amazing recipe, and SOOO delicious-looking.ReplyDelete
This looks amazing - chocolate and coconut is my favourite combination!ReplyDelete
Uno de mis favoritos, el betún increíble!ReplyDelete