Ok so before I begin I must say that it is a really tricky recipe, I've been baking for a long time and I thought that everything was a piece of cake until I stumbled with this cookies, they look pretty easy but everything from the dough to the complete cookie takes a lot of work but they are definetly worth the time. If you make them you'll hate me but then you will love me when you taste them.
- 500 gr. of flour
- 150 gr. of sugar
- 3 teaspoons of baking powder
- 15 gr. of dry active yeast
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla
- 3 eggs and 2 egg yolks
- 200 gr. of unsalted butter, softened
- 100 gr. of shortening, softened
1. In a small bowl mix flour, baking powder and yeast; pour on a table and make a whole in the middle to put butter, shortening and sugar. Mix with your hands until light and fluffy then add eggs one at a time, combine with vanilla and begin to incorporate the flour (this step will take some time). Knead the dough until it looks soft and firm, let it in a warm place for 15 minutes and then in the fridge for 1 hour.
2. Make small balls of about 1 inch wide, you will make about 100 and bake them at 300°F for 20 minutes or until slightly golden brown.
3. Let them cool completely and then make pairs, melt 1/2 c. of unsalted butter and pour 1 c. of sugar in a medium bowl. Take one cookie and spread strawberry jam but not too much, top it with the other cookie, brush it with butter and cover with sugar. (you can skip the butter and sugar step but I think that it makes them a bit more moist and delicious)
You can use any jam you like for example I made them with strawberry jam, blackberry jam and fig jam
|With blackberry jam
|With fig jam
Have a happy day baking them! they take a lot of time :)