January 11, 2012

Cherry Danish


Sweet sweet cherry danish, so soft that it almost melts in your mouth and the best part? No knead! You can forget about it, you just make the dough and put it in the refrigerator all night. I made everything, from the dough, cherry jam and the icing, you can use cherry pie filling but nothing compares to home made jam, you can use this recipe just change the raspberries for frozen or fresh cherries.

- 4 1/2 teaspoons of active dry yeast
- 6 c. of flour
- 1/3 c. of sugar
- 1 c. cold butter
- 1/2 c. warm milk
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 1/2 c. half and half
- 6 egg yolks

1. In a small bowl disolve yeast with warm milk, meanwhile in a large bowl combine flour, sugar and salt then cut in butter until the mixture looks like sand. Add yeast mixture, egg yolks and cream, combine until a soft dough forms. Cover and refrigerate all night.

[ dough will be sticky ]

2. Take out the dough and punch it, it will be a little hard but don't worry it will soften. Divide it in four and roll each quarter with a rolling pin on a floured surface, make a rectangle and cut into strips about 8 in x 1 in. Place two strips side by side and braid them pinching the ends together.



3. Make circles and pinch ends again, put them in a prepared pan and let them rise for about 45 minutes. If they rise completely and you can still see a whole in the middle add some more dough to cover completely.



4. Take a small portion of cream cheese and press it down right in the middle of each ring, fill them with a spoonfull of cherry jam, just be careful not to overfill. Bake them at 350°F for 15 minutes, you will know when they're ready when they are golden brown.




5. Let them cool completely and the drizzle some white icing, serve them with a cup of coffee and enjoy!





35 comments:

  1. Once again, WOW. haha that's the only thing I can say when I drop by your blog and salivate on your baking achievements. hahaha! btw, if you want an independent RSS feed (which enables you to have that orange button with the white 'lines'), just go to feedburner and it'll take care of you. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your danishes are just gorgeous!!!! I love the gorgeous braid work!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! You've shaped the Danish so beautifully. I need to try and make them! Lovely post!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great recipe! I've never made a Danish before, but this looks so doable! And so pretty! I love the way you've braided them, it makes them even nicer looking. So happy to have discovered your gorgeous blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great tutorial and so pretty!!! I love danish but never even thought of making one at home! Must be so nice to grab one from the oven in the morning.... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. ooh I love a cherry danish. They look so luscious (thanks for your comment on my blog today also :))

    ReplyDelete
  7. There is nothing more delicious than homemade sweet rolls. My New Year's resolution this year is to make more yeast breads. I make my own jam so this recipe will be perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  8. you are such a talented baker! LOVE your recipes, they seem so delicious and easy to do too. i'm still new to baking so your step by step photos are really, really helpful. thanks so much for sharing them, would love to try this out one day =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tan deliciosos que ya me comi 5 piezas, no quiero que se acaben :b

    ReplyDelete
  10. These look great! I love a baked treat that not only tastes good, but is beautiful too. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. these treats look SO good!! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  12. They look awesome!:) Great idea! I want one for my coffee:) Kisses

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fantastic post and step by step! These look perfect and would love one right now with my coffee, but only toast here :(

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my goodness they look fantastic, love your how to pics.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love danish pastry and this just looks like absolute heaven in your mouth!

    ReplyDelete
  16. ohhh, quĆ© ricas!!! y la explicaciĆ³n paso a paso es perfecta, gracias por compartirla ;)

    Salu2. Paula

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, I could really go for one of those right now alongside my coffee! Looks so gorgeous and flavorful. Never made any of those kinds of pastries...my un-nimble hands don't allow it. :-p But you make it look so easy of course.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love Danish bakeries, your cherry danish looks so good. You have a lovely blog here.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your pastries look so delicious!!! You even made the jam yourself, impressive!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This looks beautiful, Beti! Thanks so much for stopping by at my place. I am so excited to explore your site as well! Everything looks so fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  21. LOVE these cherry danish (my favorite flavor of danish)! Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful danish!!! You are an artist with your baked goods!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Such a great easy version. They look fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  24. oh this is amazing looking, so incredibly professional. i'm enchanted with the design of the danish. now i must figure out how to make it dairy free!

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is amazing! Beti you have a talent! xx

    ReplyDelete
  26. These look beautiful and again - you make them seem so easy! What a great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Beti- these look great! My moms been asking me to make these for a while, so I'm going to give these a try!

    ReplyDelete
  28. The Danish look delIscious......and you make it look so easy to make!!! Great job!

    ReplyDelete

thank you for your comments! I love to read them :)