February 24, 2012

Granola Bars


I finally made something actually healthy, I always bake cakes full of frosting or stuffed bread or buttery cookies but let's be honest, they are delicious; so there I was deciding what to bake and I realized that I haven't updated my baking list and I immediately remembered that I haven't made granola bars. I always make granola and I finished it two days ago so it was the perfect time to make granola bars.

- 2 c. old fashioned oats
- 1/2 c. of chopped pecans
- 1/2 c. of amaranth seeds
- 1/4 c. of bran
- 1/4 c. of linseed
- 1/4 c. of shredded coconut
- 10 prunes
- 1 dried peach
- 1/2 c. of dried cranberries
- 3 tablespoons of butter
- 1/4 c. of brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon of vanilla
- 2/3 c. of honey
- a pinch of salt

1. Preheat the oven at 350°F. In a sheet pan combine the first 6 ingredients and bake them until light brown. Meanwhile chop the prunes and peach, in a small pot melt butter with honey, salt and vanilla. When the oats mixture is ready combine everything in a bowl.




2. Pour the mixture in a prepared pan and press it lightly with your fingers until you have a smooth surface, bake it at 300°F for 30 minutes, and let it cool completely for at least 2 hours.



3. After those 2 hours you can cut your granola bars in any size/shape you want and wrap them or you can also eat them all or maybe store them for up to 2 weeks :)



So I give you my permission to eat them, they are good for you! (well if you don't eat all of them in a single day)


27 comments:

  1. Those look soooo good, I think the hardest part is that you have to let them cool for two hours. I don't know if I could resist, I would steal a little piece. Great recipe, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was eating the small pieces that were on the top but then I realized that I was making holes so I stopped

      Delete
  2. I love how dense and delicious these look. And all the fun mix-ins you infused them with!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Healthy and delicious!:) Good job Betti:) I love granola but I never made it before... Maybe I should give a try, your bars look soooo yummy!:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look great! Packed with delicious and healthy stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  5. PERFECT :) I love granola ~ and because they're so healthy I don't feel guilty eating them! Definitely book marking this recipe :D Thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the only not healthy ingredient is butter but you can ommit it and you can also change the sugar for a sugar substitute

      Delete
  6. Your granola bars look wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Beti, Thank you for your visit and leaving a kind comment.
    These granola bars are healthy looking and sound very good. It is nice to have a treat that does not make you feel so guilty.
    Blessings my dear, Catherine xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, specially since I have been eating a lot of bread it is nice to have a healthy dessert/snack

      Delete
  8. These look good - and packed with delicious flavors!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Super saludables y completas, riquisimas desbaratadas sobre la fruta y yogurt

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your granola bars are far better than ones I eat (from stores). Homemade version must be the best! I love how you added coconuts, cranberries and peaches!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. they are way better than the ones you regularly buy from the stores and besides you know exactly what's in them

      Delete
  11. These look wonderful. Love how you stacked them and wrapped with twine!

    ReplyDelete
  12. la verdad es que te han quedado perfectos, bien podrĂ­as venderlos a una gran marca, jajaja

    Salu2. Paula

    ReplyDelete
  13. these looks delicious!!!! what is linseed (and why have I never heard of it? haha)--- can I get it pretty much anywhere?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't really know if you can find it anywhere, I do find it almost anywhere here in Mexico but you can substitute it with any other grain you like

      Delete
  14. These look amazing! I love the texture of the oats in your pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  15. These are just loaded with goodness! And love the way you tied them up like this...so welcoming :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have never made granola bars....I need to get too. Wow, these look great!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Do you have to grease the tray before you put the mixture in??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can slightly grease it with butter but you can also use parchment paper, I think it's better :)

      Delete
  18. These are really rich and good looking bars!:)

    ReplyDelete

thank you for your comments! I love to read them :)