Custard, banana, vanilla, grated chocolate and whipped cream, all that in a perfect pie crust... what else do you need to make your mouth water? but the ingredient that really makes this pie taste even better is vanilla paste, trust me it's the best vanilla I've ever tried and I really love that it has the seeds in it, I'm pretty sure that you'll love it as much as I do.
- 1 pie crust
- 2 medium bananas
- 2 c. of milk
- 6 egg yolks
- 1/2 c. of sugar
- 1/3 c. cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla paste
- 1/4 c. of grated milk chocolate
- 1/2 c. of fresh whipped cream
1. Preheat the oven at 360°C. Put the pie crust in a pie mold and bake it for about 10 minutes, meanwhile in a medium bowl whisk together 1/2 c. of milk, sugar, cornstarch and egg yolks. Put the rest of the milk in a medium saucepan and add the vanilla paste, bring to simmer without stirring.
2. Turn off the heat and gradually add milk to the egg and sugar mixture then return to saucepan whisking constantly to avoid lumps, cook for about 2 minutes or until it thickens. Transfer it to a bowl and cover it directly onto surface with plastic wrap, let it cool for about 4 hours.
[ here's the pastry cream with the vanilla beans ]
3. Slice bananas and set aside. Put a thin layer of pastry cream on the pie crust and cover it with bananas, then add a second layer of pastry cream and cover it with more bananas.
4. Finally add the rest of the pastry cream until you cover everything, sprinkle grated chocolate and decorate with whipped cream. Add a mint leaf to give the pie some color.
5. Let it cool for at least 2 hours, slice it and enjoy! It is delicious and one of my favorite pies so far
Wow! I haven't had banana cream pie since I was a kid. Well done!ReplyDelete
sounds irresistable n hearty...excellent cliks beti..;)ReplyDelete
This looks really good!!! Yummy!ReplyDelete
Creamy, sweet, delicious :DReplyDelete
Muy fresco y super delicioso!ReplyDelete
When I see this pictures I'm getting hungry!ReplyDelete
You are my MASTER. :D
What a wonderful blog you have here and this recipe looks fantastic! I have enjoyed perusing many of your posts :)ReplyDelete
So nice stopping by!
What a wonderful dessert! I love bananas and this is just perfect for me. The pie looks gorgeous!!!ReplyDelete
absolutely gorgeous, wow.ReplyDelete
A few months ago this would have cost a fortune to make withe cost of bananas but now they're down to $1 a kilo this recipe's not only delicious-looking but super inexpensive to make!ReplyDelete
Oh, that looks lovely! Would you believe I've never made a dessert pie like this? Is it bad to want pie at 9:30am? :PReplyDelete
Mmmm, yumminess! My daughter would love this :)ReplyDelete
This looks incredibly delicious!! I'm starving right now!!! ;)ReplyDelete
Mmmm your pie looks fabulous!!!! I love bananasReplyDelete
Beti, what a beautiful pie! I love banana cream pie, and this looks like a very good one!ReplyDelete
Love the chocolate shavings topping!ReplyDelete
This banana cream pie looks pretty delicious and vanilla just goes so well with banana flavours as well! Well done and have a great 2012!
OH WOW! This looks fabulous! xxxReplyDelete
You definitely can't go wrong with custard, banana, vanilla, grated chocolate and whipped cream. Sounds uber delicious! Have you tried banofee pie? It's really similar, but also has toffee or caramel. So good!ReplyDelete
What a dreamy looking pie...gorgeous!ReplyDelete
This my husband's favorite pie; I have been baking banana crème pie for twenty years now.ReplyDelete
Love how you topped this off with all that chocolate. I have a sweet treat linky party going on at my blog till Monday night and I'd love it if you'd come by and link your pie up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2012/01/sweets-for-saturday-51.htmlReplyDelete
well I should have just come and taken a look here at what you made instead of asking in the comments- this is just lovely! Now I see why it worked without the chocolate- a completely different recipe of course! YumReplyDelete
Oh my - I just want to fall face first into it!ReplyDelete
I'm so glad you commented on my blog so I could discover all this deliciousness! I don't know where to start - banana cream pie, foccacia dipped in olive and vinegar is one of my all time favs too, but I LOVE cookies! Very nice photos too. I'll be back.ReplyDelete
I <3 banana cream pie!ReplyDelete
wow this looks so so yummy.ReplyDelete